Northampton is a large market town. It lies on the River Nene, 60 miles Northwest of London and 50 miles Southeast of Birmingham and is one of the largest towns in England.
Archaeological evidence dates the area back to the Bronze Ages, Romans and Anglo-saxons. In the Middle Ages the town rose to National significance with the establishing of the Northampton Castle, which played host to members of the royal family and members of parliament.
Northampton is renowned for being the centre for footwear and leather manufacturers. Much of the rich history is commemorated at the Northampton Museum Shoe Exhibition.
Northampton was designated as a new town in 1968 and has grown significantly in this time through the accelerated development in the town.
Local schools in Northampton
- 73 Secondary Schools in Northamptonshire with most having a performance level average or above
- 306 Primary Schools in Northamptonshire with most having a performance level average or above
- 8 Private Schools in Northamptonshire with most having a performance level average or above
Top 3 highest rated schools in Northampton
- Northampton High School - Ages 2 to 18
- Northampton School For Boys - Ages 11 to 18
- Bosworth Independent College - Ages 13 to 22
Ofsted Ratings in Northampton
- 45 Rated Outstanding
- 218 Rated Good
- 48 Rated Required Improvement
- 8 Rated Inadequate
Things to do in Northampton
Northampton is a great place to explore, with so much on offer throughout the year.
Northampton boasts huge plains of greenery. There are plenty of gardens to explore and enjoy. To add to the adventure many of our local gardens also house a cafe where you can sit down, relax and enjoy an afternoon tea. See below for links to local gardens:
- Delapre Abbey - https://delapreabbey.org/gardens
- Althorp House (Childhood home to Princess Diana) - https://spencerofalthorp.com/
The town has a vibrant restaurant and nightlife. Whether you are looking for a pub or bar for some laid back drinks or you fancy getting dressed up for some fine dining. There is something for everyone.